The Road goes ever on and on, / Down from the door where it began. / Now far ahead the Road has gone, / And I must follow, if I can, / Pursuing it with eager feet, / Until it joins some larger way / Where many paths and errands meet. / And whither then? I cannot say. - Bilbo, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thursday, September 1, 2011

One More Day

I leave in one day. I am so ready to be done with goodbyes. The range of emotions I've experienced in the past month has been pretty crazy. A month it ago it hit me for the first time that I'm actually going to live in Morocco for nine months of my life. I thought about how much I'm going to miss the football season, Alabama in the fall, bacon, and wearing whatever I want. At that point I had so much work to do to get ready to go that I was overwhelmed and anxious. After a week or two of steadily checking things off my to do list and accumulating travel necessities, the excitement set in. I was ready to go. For a week. Then the excitement turned into sadness. I have such an amazing community of people around me in Tuscaloosa. I love my life so much. Why in the world am I leaving everything I love to go to a new place for nine months? Gahhh.

But here I am, getting the last of the details in order before I leave. I know this is going to be an incredible year. Whether I love it or hate it, I know I'm going to learn so much about myself and others (not to mention Morocco) that would be impossible to learn otherwise. I know that I'm going to grow in my faith and learn to rely even more on my Savior. A dear friend sent me these comforting words today: "When waves of fear come, lash yourself to the Rock that never moves. The waves still come, but you remain unmoved."

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, Caitlin, it's so incredible. You're really going to love it. The first couple of days are a bit difficult when you don't know anyone but once you get a few friends you'll be fine. Its been one of the best experiences already and I've been here less than a week. I'll def be praying for you it's been a bit interesting to be around people who have very different values than me but I think its possible to stay strong. I have a blog too if you want to read it :) tjnorthington.blogspot.com. And our morocco trip is at the end of october through early nov so hopefully we can see each other! Hope you have a safe flight and peace about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Tara! We should definitely meet up:) and I already found your blog haha (twitter stalking)

    ReplyDelete